Thursday, February 19, 2009

To boyfriend or not to boyfriend??


Alright, with Kelci and Anyana both turning 13 this year, new issues have started crossing our minds. The big one, BOYS!!

Both of the girls have started to express that they think that this boy is cute or that boy is nice and it is a natural thing. However, with becoming a mother at a young age myself it makes me wonder. Bobby would LOVE for the girls to NEVER have boyfriends and he does not want to hear anything about it. Me, on the other hand, want the girls to talk to me about every and anything. I too feel like they should not have boyfriends in the real sence of the word, but I do not want them to keep me closed out. We all know what, "going out," means at this age anyways.

So, Kelci has this friend that she calls her boyfriend. He is a nice kid and I have known his mom for a few years. They do not go to school together and he lives far enough away that neither of them can really see each other. They text each other and talk on the phone, (the safest relationship of all). Sometimes we will go to one of his basketball game and I have seen him show up to one of her softball games.

A few weeks ago he asked her to go to a formal dance with him. She asked me if she could go and after dragging all of the details out of her, I told her that she had to ask Daddy, (and give him the whole run down). After asking her all of the important, "Daddy," questions and finding out that we knew most of that adults that would be there, he decided to let her go. Mema and I went to the mall and bought Kelci a new dress to wear, new shoes & some bling. She looked very nice and was very excited to go. On our way to the drop her off I reminded her of ALL of the rules and told her to call me if she needed me. I walked her into the building and found one of my best friends. I asked her to keep and eye on Kelci and to take a few pictures for me, after all this is a big moment for my first born!!

And now, my friend brought the pictures for me the other night and it looked like the kids had a really nice time. There were two of Kelci and all of her girlfriends and there were two of Kelci and her, "friend." I took them home to show Bobby and of course he is not thrilled with the fact that there are now photos of Kelci and her, "friend," together. He goes and gives her the, "DADDY," talk and reminds her to respect herself and her parents at all times. Is he coming around?? He still will only let the girls call them their, "special friends"!

1 comment:

  1. I got me one of them 'special friends'... but 'he' doesn't dance....

    ReplyDelete